This article contains information on how to create display ad units in your Google AdSense dashboard and how to build a backfill campaign in Sortable's platform.
Creating ad units in AdSense
To create a display ad unit, follow the instructions in this AdSense Help article to create units for each size that you are using with Sortable. AdSense Responsive tags will not work for the passback.
Creating an AdSense backfill campaign
- Log in to Sortable's analyzable dashboard.
- Select the person icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Self-serve Ads.
- Click New Ad Campaign. Use the following criteria to create your campaign:
- Name – Give the campaign a name that you would want to see while searching or reporting. Suggested naming convention: Company Name - AdSense Passback
- Type – House
- Floor – 0.01 (Note: Google changed their policies about serving AdSense tags as third party creatives and they must be at least $0.01 in order to serve.)
- Sites – Select the site you would like this AdSense backfill campaign to target.
- Ad units - Select the desired ad units to be targeted.
Important: If you have opted in to use Sortable's interstitials, an interstitial ad unit will be created by default in our system. Make sure to exclude the interstitial ad unit if you don't want your campaign to serve in this format.
- Leave all other settings as the default settings.
- Click Create Ad Campaign.
- To create a new creative, use the following criteria:
- Name – Defaults to the size of the creative
- Size – Select the size of the AdSense ad tag; we suggest you add a creative for each size available that AdSense supports: 728x90, 160x600, 300x250, 300x600, 320x50, 336x280, 468x60, 970x90, 970x250, 320x100
- Kind – Third-party
- Third-party HTML – Paste in your AdSense tag
- Click Add Creative to Campaign.
- Repeat for all other sizes for the site you selected.
Add your Google AdSense ads.txt lines into your ads.txt file for your site
Make sure to add your AdSense ads.txt line into your ads.txt file. If you need help adding the line into your file, use our hosted ads.txt option where the lines can be added in our interface. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help implementing hosted ads.txt.
If you are already using our hosted ads.txt option, you can edit your lines by following these directions:
- Log in to analyzable.
- In the left menu select Site Settings > Ads.txt.
- If you have more than one (1) site, search for the domain name by using the "Select site" box at the top of the page.
- Under Manage custom ads.txt lines, select the Click here link to view your additional lines.
- Paste your AdSense line into the "Ads.txt custom lines" text field.
- Select the Save icon in the top right.
The campaign may take a few hours to sync and go live on your site.
Once it is live and your ads.txt has been updated, you will be able to see your AdSense <ins> tags filling into the Sortable slots when Sortable does not have a buyer for the slot.
Your revenue for these AdSense Passback tags will appear in your AdSense dashboard and will only appear as the $0.01 amount that the campaign is set to in ANALYZable. Since this is not your real earnings for AdSense, we will remove the $0.01 on our billing statements and you will be paid directly from AdSense for these impressions.